9 Major Signs of a Bad Freehold NJ Roof Installation and How to Avoid It
Roofs are one of the most important parts of any property, so you want to make sure that your roof is up to code and will last for years without any problems.
Unfortunately, not all roofing contractors are created equal, and some may cut corners or do a poor job on your roof.
In our blog, we bring you some of the most common signs that indicate your roof has been installed poorly or unprofessionally, as well as several crucial tips on how to avoid this issue in the future.
So, make sure to read on and act quickly if you recognize any of the warning signs described below!
A leaky roof is an obvious sign that something has gone wrong with the installation process or materials used. Once you see water coming from your ceiling or running down walls, it’s time for an inspection and possible replacement before mold sets in and becomes impossible to remove without tearing out all of the drywall and insulation.
2) Curling Shingles
This problem might not be immediately apparent, but it’s a sure sign that your roof is in some type of disrepair and that it hasn’t been installed properly – especially if the shingles start curling very early on. Therefore, if you see shingles curling up at the edges or crumbling, it means that they’re not able to protect your home from the elements as effectively as they should.
3) Missing Shingles
While encountering a few missing shingles down the line, after some wear and tear, or in the aftermath of a storm is not that uncommon, having missing shingles immediately or not long after your new roof was installed is a big cause for concern. This is a problem that can lead to leaks and other serious damages, and it is a clear sign of poor or unprofessional workmanship.
4) Sagging Roofline
Sagging is a big structural issue that usually happens when the supports under the roof become weak or damaged. This can be caused by rot or insects over time, but it can also be a sign of poor construction and bad roofing work. So, if you notice any sagging, it’s important to have a trusted professional take a look at it as soon as possible.
5) Lack of Uniformity
If you notice that some of your shingles are a different color than the others, it may be a sign that they’re not the same quality, i.e., that the roof did not use the same type of shingles for the whole roof. This can be a problem because it means that some areas of your roof are more vulnerable to leaks and other damage.
in addition to that, any materials that are sticking out at odd angles, as well as bumps or ripples in your roofing material are all signs that something has gone wrong with the installation.
6) Missing Nails, Staples, or Flashing
If you see any missing nails or staples in the roofing material, this is a sign that the contractor did not properly secure the roofing. This can lead to serious problems down the road, so be sure to point it out to the contractor.
Missing flashing can be equally damaging and lead to some serious water damage, so be on the lookout for that, too. Flashing is most commonly installed around chimneys, skylights, roof valleys, and similar areas where two different parts of the roof meet.
7) Ponding Water
If you notice that water is pooling on your roof after it rains, it’s a sign that there’s a problem with the drainage. This can be caused by clogged gutters or downspouts, but it can also be a sign of poor construction. So, to be on the safe side, have a trusted local roofer take a look at it to determine the root of the problem.
8) Daylight Coming Through the Roof
A hole in the roof where you can see daylight coming in is never a good sign, especially right after you had the roof installed. This is a serious problem that indicates that your roof is not doing its job of keeping your home insulated and protected from the elements. If you see daylight coming through cracks in the roof, it’s time for an inspection and possibly another replacement.
9) High Energy Bills
If your energy bills start to go up for no apparent reason, it could be a sign that your roof is not keeping your home as well insulated as it should be. This problem can be caused by leaks, cracks, low-quality materials, missing protective layers of the roof, or other problems, so it’s important to have a trusted roofer take a look at the roof and pinpoint the issue as soon as possible.
How to Avoid Bad and Unprofessional Roof Installations?
When it comes to roofing installations, it’s important to make sure you get the best possible work done. And you can do that by staying prepared and doing your due diligence when looking for a roofing contractor:
- Always research contractors before hiring them. Make sure to read reviews and ask for referrals from friends and family.
- Ask lots of questions when interviewing contractors. Find out how long they’ve been in business, what kind of warranties they offer, and what type of materials they plan to use.
- Get multiple estimates before choosing a contractor. This will help you compare prices and get the best possible deal.
- Make sure the contractor you choose is licensed and insured. This will protect you in case of any accidents or damage to your property.
- Ask to see the contractor’s project portfolio. This will give you an idea of their experience and workmanship.
- Be sure to get a written contract before work begins. This should include all details about the project, including a payment schedule.
- Pay attention to the work being done on your roof. If you see any signs of sloppy workmanship, be sure to bring it to the contractor’s attention immediately.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for changes if you’re not happy with the work being done. After all, it’s your roof, and you should be happy with the end result.
- Inspect your roof after the job is completed. Make sure everything looks good and that there are no problems.
- If you have any issues with your roof, be sure to contact the contractor right away. They should be able to fix any problems quickly and efficiently.
Get in Touch With Your Trusted Roofers at Fortified Roofing
It’s important to keep an eye out for these signs of a bad roof installation, as they can lead to serious problems down the line. If you notice any of these warning signs, be sure to have a professional take a look at your roof immediately. Ignoring these problems can end up costing you more in the long run. With early detection, you can avoid major issues and keep your roof in good condition for years to come.
At Fortified Roofing, all roof installations are done at the highest quality and industry standards by a team of skilled, qualified, and detail-oriented Freehold NJ roofers, so don’t hesitate to call us anytime!