12 Biggest Dos and Don’ts of Roof Replacement on Your Home
When it comes to a roof replacement, there’s no denying that this is one of the biggest home improvement projects any homeowner can take on. While getting a new roof is exciting and at some point, much needed, it can also be a bit stressful. Here’s why.
For starters, there are so many seemingly small details to consider that can end up playing a huge role in the success of your roof replacement project. And if you’re considering getting a new roof, there are probably a million questions going through your mind right now.
How do you find quality roofers who won’t let all your money go down the drain? Which materials should you choose? Can you go for a different type of material this time around?
But don’t worry. These questions are perfectly normal. After all, your new roof is supposed to protect you and your family for a long time to come. How could you not put a lot of thought into it?
Our experts at Fortified Roofing bring you all the answers you’re looking for, plus a lot more to consider. We’ve rounded up some major dos and don’ts of having your roof replaced to make the entire process that much easier for you.
Here’s what you should keep in mind.
What Are the Biggest Dos of a Roof Replacement?
- DO make sure that your home is ready for the magnitude of this project. After all, there’s going to be an entire team of contractors walking on your roof. You should be prepared for some shaking and maybe a little vibration inside your home. This is why we recommend that you remove all the pictures from your walls, as well as all your fragile belongings, and put them somewhere safe before the project commences.
- DO consider going for different material this time around. Did you know that you can easily opt for a completely different material the second time around? It is by no means necessary to replace your existing roof with the exact same material, unless, of course, that’s what you want. Work with your contractor to find out more about your options, taking your needs, wishes, and budget into consideration.
- DO make sure that you got the materials you’ve paid for. When the materials get delivered to your home, don’t think twice about inspecting them to make sure they’re exactly what you requested. It is always smart to double-check that you’re getting your money’s worth.
- DO consider an added layer. Sometimes, adding a second layer of shingles or reroofing can be a great solution for your roof and your budget. Be sure to check with your roofer to see whether this is doable and the right choice for you.
- DO pay attention to wind and fire ratings. A lot of roofing materials come with ratings that show how resistant to wind and fire they are. Not all manufacturers choose to submit their materials for this testing, but we urge you to consider this aspect before landing on the final material for your home.
- DO request a detailed estimate. You should always be provided with an exact estimate that includes materials needed for the project, time, labor, and an outlined start and finish date. And make sure to get it all in writing.
- DO consider the weather. It’s very important to choose a roofing material that is optimal for your region, as severe weather can take a toll on your property. The goal is to have your roof remain durable and last a long time, so considering your local climate is always a safe bet.
- DO go for an aesthetically appealing look. Your roof is likely to last anywhere between 20 – 50 years, depending on the material, so it would be wise to go for one that will maximize your curb appeal, as well. You can discuss the color and style options with your contractor so that you’re left with a strong, durable, and gorgeous roof over your head.
What Are the Biggest Don’ts of a Roof Replacement?
- DON’T neglect to check your contractor’s credentials. The smartest way to know whether a roofer is reliable and worth hiring is by asking for their credentials! Simply check out what their previous clients have to say about them and make your decision based on your findings.
- DON’T fall for storm chasers’ scams. As great as it sounds, there’s no such thing as a free roof. Everything has a cost. Storm chasers are known to swarm an area recently hit by a heavy storm and go around promising speedy home repairs for a significantly lower cost. Most commonly, they offer to waive your deductible, in which case you should steer clear, as that is considered insurance fraud.
- DON’T take any shortcuts. Don’t allow yourself to be tempted to go for a lower-quality roof simply because it costs a little less. When it comes to an investment as big as your roof, you should never cut corners, as it will only end up costing you significantly more in the future. Your roof will keep you and your family safe for many years to come, which is why all the decisions you make should reflect that.
- DON’T add layers without checking the structural integrity of your roof first. Before you start making any decisions regarding multi-layer roofing, make sure to have your roof’s structural integrity tested. An added layer means a bigger weight load, so it’s important to take all the precautions before making your decision. That way, you will have great peace of mind in the long run.
Getting a New Roof, Additional Information
We will not finish our blog with do’s and don’ts of roof replacement, yet we will provide you additional value with the answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding roof replacement, so if you are looking for additional information regarding getting a new roof, keep on reading.
Warning Signs You Need a New Roof
Ensuring the safety and longevity of your home hinges on your ability to spot warning signs of a failing roof. Keep an eye out for missing or damaged shingles, annoying leaks, dark spots on the ceiling, and sagging areas. If any of these signs catch your attention, it’s high time to consider getting a new roof.
How Difficult Is It to Replace a Roof?
Curious about the difficulty of replacing a roof? Well, it varies depending on factors such as roofing materials and home size. While some homeowners may consider a DIY approach, it’s crucial to recognize that this task demands expertise and specialized equipment. For a successful and durable roof replacement, hiring a professional roofing contractor is your best bet.
How Long Does It Take to Replace a Roof by Yourself?
If you decide to take on the challenge of replacing the roof on your own, the timeframe can vary significantly. It depends on your experience, available resources, and the size of your house. For most DIYers, the process could take several weeks, while professional roofing contractors can typically complete the job within a few days.
What Do I Need to Know Before Putting on a New Roof?
Thinking about putting on a new roof? Before taking the leap, there are several crucial factors to keep in mind. First and foremost, carefully choose the perfect roofing materials that suit your needs and preferences. You might opt for cost-effective traditional asphalt shingles or go for the long-lasting and energy-efficient appeal of durable metal roofing. Moreover, don’t forget to entrust the job to a reputable local roofing contractor known for their track record of delivering top-quality results.
The Average Cost to Tear Off and Replace a Roof
The cost of a roof replacement can vary depending on the size and complexity of the project. On average, homeowners can expect to spend between $5,000 to $15,000 for a complete tear-off and replacement. However, investing in a high-quality roof is a wise decision, as it ensures the protection of your home and potentially increases its value.
Roof Replacement Process Insurance
When considering a roof replacement, it becomes crucial to assess your homeowner’s insurance policy. Unforeseen events, such as severe storms or hail, may cause damages that could be covered by insurance. Familiarizing yourself with your policy’s terms and conditions empowers you to make informed decisions and potentially reduce replacement costs.
Choosing the Right Roofing Materials
When replacing your roof, the choice of roofing materials holds immense importance. While asphalt shingles and metal roofing remain popular options, don’t overlook other promising alternatives like wood shakes, clay tiles, and slate. Each material brings its unique advantages and drawbacks, encompassing factors such as cost, durability, and aesthetics.
To ensure the best fit for your home, invest time in thorough research and seek guidance from a professional roofing contractor. Their expertise will assist you in identifying the ideal material that not only complements your home’s style but also stands up to the demands of your local climate.
The Importance of Hiring a Professional Roofing Contractor
While some homeowners may consider a DIY roof replacement to cut costs, opting for a professional roofing contractor brings numerous benefits. Seasoned roofers possess the essential expertise to handle intricate roofing projects with efficiency and precision. Equipped with advanced tools, they ensure the job is executed safely and to the highest standards of workmanship. Additionally, professional roofing contractors can guide you in selecting the best materials and techniques that align perfectly with your budget and preferences.
Roof Replacement Process: Step by Step
Replacing a roof involves a series of crucial steps. The initial phase requires careful removal of old roofing materials like shingles or tiles in a process known as tear-off, ensuring the underlying structure remains intact. Afterward, the roofing contractor conducts a thorough inspection of the roof deck, addressing any damage or decay through necessary repairs.
Once the roof deck is ready, an additional layer of protection is added with the installation of a moisture barrier and underlayment, guarding against potential leaks. Finally, the selected roofing material, whether it be asphalt shingles or metal panels, is skillfully installed. Precision and expertise are paramount at each stage, ensuring a successful and long-lasting roof replacement.
Exploring Energy-Efficient Roofing Options
With rising energy conservation concerns, energy-efficient roofing is gaining popularity. These roofs reflect sunlight, reduce heat absorption, and lower cooling costs in summer. Options include cool roof shingles, green roofs with vegetation, and solar shingles. Investing in energy efficiency benefits your finances and promotes a greener future.
The Role of Proper Ventilation in Roofing
Proper ventilation is a vital aspect of roof replacement that is often overlooked. Without adequate ventilation, your attic can trap excess heat and moisture, leading to various problems like mold growth, warped wood, and ice dams in colder climates. During the roof replacement process, ensure that proper ventilation systems, such as ridge vents, soffit vents, or turbine vents, are installed. Adequate ventilation promotes air circulation and helps extend the lifespan of your new roof.
Maintaining Your New Roof: Dos and Don’ts
Once you’ve successfully completed your roof replacement, it’s essential to follow proper maintenance practices to maximize its lifespan. Regular inspections, clearing debris, and addressing minor issues promptly can prevent significant problems in the future. However, avoid walking on the roof excessively, especially if you have asphalt shingles, as this can cause unnecessary damage. Instead, hire a professional roofing contractor for annual inspections and repairs.
Evaluating the Return on Investment (ROI)
Undoubtedly, a new roof is a significant investment, but how does it measure up in terms of returns? Various studies reveal that a roof replacement boasts a comparatively high ROI compared to other home improvement projects. Beyond enhancing curb appeal, it adds substantial value to your property, making it an enticing prospect for potential buyers.
Furthermore, if you plan to call your house home for the long haul, the peace of mind offered by a sturdy roof is truly invaluable. So, as you contemplate this investment, rest assured that the returns extend far beyond the dollars and cents.
Roofing Warranties: Understanding the Coverage
When getting a new roof, understanding roofing warranties is crucial. Most roofing materials come with manufacturer warranties that cover defects and premature failures. Additionally, reputable roofing contractors offer workmanship warranties that protect against installation errors. Familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions of these warranties to ensure you can make a claim if needed.
Is Replacing a Roof a Good Investment?
Undoubtedly, replacing a roof requires a significant financial commitment. However, it is an essential expense to safeguard your home and loved ones. Beyond providing enhanced protection and boosting curb appeal, a new roof can also elevate the overall value of your property. Prospective buyers will appreciate the reassurance that comes with knowing they won’t face roof-related issues anytime soon.
Let’s Wrap It Up a Little Bit
In conclusion, replacing your roof is a significant project that demands thoughtful consideration of various factors. From identifying warning signs to selecting appropriate roofing materials and evaluating costs, each aspect plays a crucial role.
A well-executed roof replacement not only shields your home from the elements but also enhances its overall appeal, offering a promising return on investment. Remember to prioritize proper ventilation and regular maintenance to prolong the new roof’s lifespan.
By making informed decisions and seeking professional guidance, you can confidently embark on a roof replacement journey, securing the safety and protection of your home for years to come.
In Need of Roof Replacement Services?
Now that you’ve carefully gone over all the major dos and don’ts of having your roof replaced, and all additional information regarding roof replacement, hopefully, you will have an easier time making the right decisions.
When faced with any type of roofing dilemmas, the best thing you can do is get in touch with your trusted local roof replacement contractors who will guide you throughout the process, from start to finish.
At Fortified Roofing, we are always at your disposal for an honest and detailed estimate, as well as for top-tier roofing services. Give us a call anytime and see what we can do for you! Your trustworthy Woodbridge roofers.