Franklin – About Franklin
About Franklin NJThe long history of Franklin and the Raritan Valley was largely influenced by the Dutch who came around 1650. They settled this area by trading for land with the Raritan Indians. In early 2000, the Township Council determined it was desirable to official adopt a theory as to the naming of the Town. After considering the evidence brought forth in, the Township Council decided to embrace the theory that the Township got named after Benjamin Franklin. Revolutionary War Franklin Township has had a fair chunk of the Revolutionary War History. In fact, two British generals, Cornwallis & DeHeister, tried to lure George Washington into battle on the flats of Middlebush and East Millstone. Washington, smartly, kept his troops at Chimney Rock, north of Franklin, until the British decided to withdraw. The British soldiers obliterated several prosperous Middlebush farms during their retreat. One of the most significant developments for Franklin was the creation of the Delaware-Raritan Canal in 1834. 22 miles of this continuous water route from New York to Philadelphia runs through the Town. During the war, up to 200,000 tons of cargo were hauled by mule and horse, a significant economic plus for the area. The creation of railroads led to the decline of the once successful mode of transportation. Today this canal is the source of water and provides recreation for area residents and visitors to the Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park. Education Students in public school from kindergarten till eighth grade attend the Franklin Borough School District. As of 2014-15 school year, the Franklin district and its only school had an enrollment of 642 students and 45 classroom teachers, for a student-teacher ratio of 14:1. From ninth till twelfth grades, public school students attend The Wallkill Valley Regional High School that serves students from Franklin, Hamburg, Hardyston and Ogdensburg, and is part of the Wallkill Valley Regional High School District. As of 2014-15 school year, this high school had an enrollment of 655 students and 57 classroom teachers, for the student-teacher ratio of 11:1. The Fluorescent Mining Capital of the World Franklin Borough is located in beautiful Sussex County. The Borough has a population of about 5,000 people with a surface area of 4.6 square miles. Better known as the “Fluorescent Mineral Capital of the World,” Franklin Borough is recognized for its rich ore deposits containing more than 150 minerals, many of which have fluorescent properties. Most these minerals aren’t found anywhere else in the world. Franklin had a rich mining history. Zinc and iron were mainly mined by small companies in the 1800’s. In 1897 the New Jersey Zinc Company took control of mining operations and became a significant influence on the Borough’s development until the mine closed in 1954. Today, Borough’s strategic location and natural beauty helped it achieve recognition as a fantastic place to live and shop. Franklin’s amenities consist of a beautiful pond recreation area, schools, and parks in the rural setting with an added convenience of nearby commercial activities. Route 23 corridor is a destination for retail shopping and banking whereas other areas in the Borough retain the distinctive character and home advantages of small town living.
Articles about Franklin Roofing